A Message From Dede Schaffner, Seminole County School Board Member
Thank you so very much for your interest in the children of Seminole County. With over 1800 homeless students in our Seminole County Public Schools, hunger is one concern we can address through our churches, businesses and organizations. The children receive breakfast and lunch in the schools Monday through Friday; however, way too often they come to school Monday morning saying they haven't eaten since Friday when they last ate at school. Therefore, we have established food pantries in 50 of our schools so children can take a backpack with non perishable food items home on Friday afternoon. Then we know they have something to eat over the weekend. Keeping the school food pantries stocked is a challenge. Therefore, we are asking for your help.
We want to provide you with a RED BAG so that you can fill it, return it and help keep our food pantries stocked in our schools. The RED BAGS are recyclable so they can be used again and again. As you know the problem of childhood hunger continues to grow, so we must keep up with the demand.
While you are filling the bag, feeding the child, and helping to eliminate childhood hunger, there are several suggestions we have to help guide your choices:
- Due to safety concerns, we ask that you provide only non-perishable food items.
- Elementary children especially appreciate the pop-top can so they be opened easily.
- No religious materials will be allowed on a school campus or in the food backpacks.
- Food will be sent home with selected students in nondescript backpacks (protecting their identity and dignity) on Friday afternoons.
- Personal items are needed as well such as deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and other personal items.
The Seminole County Public School staff and school board members are so thankful for your generosity and concern for the many hungry children attending our schools. Without the support of the faith community, and other community groups the children would not have the same educational opportunities. We appreciate your support of the RED BAG campaign, let's turn it into a movement throughout Seminole County.
Will you please join me?
Seminole County Public Schools - School Board Member